Be Still

Be Still...? What exactly does that mean or even look like? As many times as we hear that simple phrase...I always failed to grasp the concept until I needed to apply it. 

Be Still in the English dictionary can mean not moving, and being quiet. But from a spiritual perspective, these two words take on so much of a greater meaning.

Imagine a busy day of hustling and busting to get through that to do list...attempting that last minute cramming to get all that work done. It's overwhelming and exhausting. At that point, you're probably looking for an escape route just to catch your breath. Be Still! 

What I've neglected to realize is that the work, the demands, expectations and needs of everyone will always be there but I won't always be there yet somehow, it will all still get done. Therefore, I have to ensure that I myself make time to rest, not be the decision maker, the fixer, or the go to person. 

How in the world do I do that? It's never easy to let go, it's a feeling of "I'm letting someone down", "I should be able to do it all."  Really? Yes, I am letting someone down, me. No, I don't have to do it all. The feeling of burn out, anxiety and tension is the result of taking on too much and not feeling accomplished or appreciated because of all the work that went in to getting it all done. 

No one has any idea what I go through to get it all done. I'll have to admit it, it's not their position to know or be concerned about that. I take on more than I can because deep down I wanted to be the go to person, I wanted to be the one that everyone saw as having it all together. 

Well, that was just a big fat lie and was infact my personal recipe for self destruction and frequent let down. This is why I always failed to grasp the spiritual concept of "Be still" I never wanted to be still, to me it meant I wouldn't be needed. 
Often enough I have asked God for everything, but didn't stop to listen or to be still. The act of being still and getting quiet has become more of a challenge in our hectic world. The world asks us to be busy. God asks us to be still so that we can receive love, peace and guidance.
Along with this busyness comes the fearful and anxious thoughts we hold onto. It’s been stated that "we have upwards of 50,000 thoughts a day." Those thoughts aren’t always pretty. We know the ones. Quieting the mind, shutting up the mind requires so much practice. I kid you not, I am still learning the methodology, yet have gotten much better. 
Some powerful techniques to help shut up thoughts that cause us to be all over the place and help calm us:
1. Meditation - Meditation helps to renew the mind, to be still, to let go and surrender, to shut up the thoughts that don't serve us good intentions. Many are intimidated by silence because it can cause one to address issues that s/he might be running from. It’s easy to fill each day with busyness and then block out concerns through hours of mind-numbing television viewing, Internet surfing or reading social media posts. If these methods are used to fill a void that is not being filled, over time, the toll will manifest itself in the form of lost relationships, lost opportunities and lost dreams never being fulfilled.
2. Prayer and Bible reading - "I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you" (Matthew 17:20). Prayer has a way of bringing a sense of serenity over me...I like knowing that someone is actually listening to all my ranting without judgement. The power resides in the God who is being prayed to. This is where we are giving up all control, releasing our thoughts to someone who is more than able to manage it all on our behalf. We don't have to use certain words or phrases to get God to answer our prayers. Just talk! And spending time in the word informs us of God's mind and will for our lives (2 Timothy 3:16-17). 
3. Walk - Walking gives you more energy. You’ll get more done with more energy, and a brisk walk is one of the best natural energizers around. It boosts circulation and increases oxygen supply to every cell in your body, helping you to feel more alert and alive. Try walking as often as you can to achieve more in your day. Walking also makes you feel happier. It boosts your mood. Studies show that a brisk walk is just as effective as antidepressants in mild to moderate cases of depression, releasing feel-good endorphins while reducing stress and anxiety. So for positive mental health, walking’s an absolute must.
Now, let's see about managing those "To Do Lists"
1. I make a to do list of all the things I think need to be accomplished by me.
2. I revise that list between needs to happen, would like to happen, and maybe can happen.

3. I add to that list, take a breath, a walk, have some tea or coffee.

4. I get into my spiritual space and ask for peace and energy to accomplish everything I can do in the day.

My days still have hectic moments but I've learned to be still, breathe and now I prioritize, I get focused and when I don't have the ability to get something done, it's OK. Plus, I ask for help.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

About This Thing Called Feelings

What's Worry Got To Do With It?